To honor excellent scientific work in the area of Biomaterials and Regenerative Medicine, the SSB+RM will present two Research Awards a year, one for an outstanding PhD thesis and one for an outstanding MD/DDS thesis. The awards will be given based on originality and impact of the work. The research award consists of CHF 1500.- and a certificate.
- To qualify for the Research Award, the candidate must have completed and defended her/his PhD/MD/DDS thesis during the last 12 months at a Swiss university or be a Swiss citizen who defended in a foreign country.
- The topic of the research must be related to the scope of the society.
- The author of the thesis may nominate him- or herself.
- The candidate must have at least one accepted paper as first author in a peer-reviewed journal.
- The candidate must submit a cover letter, CV, pdf of the thesis and pdf of the accepted paper to the SSB+RM secretary.
- The Award Committee is composed of active members of the Executive Committee of the SSB+RM who will evaluate the applications. Their decision is final.
- The winners are expected to present their work at the SSB+RM Annual Conference.
- 2017 deadline for submission: April 9th, 2018.
Annual Meeting Student Awards
Student awards were originally established in the SSB+RM meetings in order to give young scientists recognition of their scientific performance, which could be documented in their curriculum vitae, and to encourage them to continue their research career in the field of biomaterials.
During the SSB+RM Annual Meeting, a best student poster and best oral presentation award are presented, each for the amount of CHF 500.–.
For the oral presentation, we strongly advise students to read our guidelines before starting to prepare the presentation.
To qualify for the student award the candidate must be under 30 years of age, a registered student at a University (Letter from Dept. head required) at undergraduate or postgraduate level. Not included are applicants carrying a Dr. degree and studying for a second Dr. title or applicants studying for an MBA after completion of a first degree. The student must be first-listed and presenting author. For posters they must be present at the official poster presentation time. The submission must clearly be the work of the applicant and not that of any co-author.
Reviewers will assess presentations of all the eligible candidates and independently judge their performance. Evaluation criteria will include
- quality and presentation of material in the abstract;
- the contribution of the presented work to the field;
- the clarity and the informative aspects of the presentation;
- the appropriate use of visual aids;
- the ability to interact with the audience during the discussion period including the presenter’s knowledge of the research field and involvement in the entire project.
Awards may be won for poster or oral presentation.
Student Travel Awards
The SSB+RM Student travel award intends to support students from Swiss research institutions to visit international conferences and give talks and present posters. To apply for one of the four annual travel awards, 500 CHF each:
- The applicant has to be a registered (Master, PhD or MD) student at a Swiss institution.
- The applicant should have attended a previous SSB+RM meeting.
- The applicant has to have an accepted abstract for an international conference as the first and presenting author.
- Oral presentations will be preferred, but importance will also be accorded to the conference reputation.
- They are two application deadlines per year: June 30 and December 31. Applications can be submitted before acceptance of the abstract, but the official notification of acceptance has to be received before the deadline.
- Awards will be announced within one month after the deadline. If the conference takes place before the deadline, a decision can be made earlier.
- The awards will be paid at the latest by January 31 and July 31.
Applications should contain a proof of the student status, the accepted abstract with the notification of acceptance and a short (maximum half a page) cover letter explaining your background and the relevance of this conference for you.
Send your application to the SSB+RM student’s representative.